White Water Rafting in Cairns, Australia
Cairns is nothing if not an adventure sport destination. I love adventure travel so I was more than ready to white water raft for my first time ever back in February.
If you have no aversion to looking like a deranged Teletubby for an adventure sport, then don a GoPro-mounted helmet and go white water rafting. What’s that you say? The water is brown? No worries. It’s clean. This is Australia—the place where you can be fined hundreds of dollars for leaving a stray piece of fruit in your carry-on. Don’t worry about water-born illness; worry about keeping your slippery backside on the raft because your guide at Raging Thunder has other plans.
Barron Gorge is a level three of six as treacherousness goes, so it was good for this novice to acquaint herself with white water rafting. Just note: there is no graceful way to climb back in your raft. My guide, a cheeky man named Tim, had me go under water, kick my legs up, and experience the sensation of what I can only describe as being born. Actually, it was a cross between birth, waterboarding, and those nightmares of being naked in high school. In other words, great fun!
Win a trip for two to Cairns, Australia!
Win a trip for two to Cairns, Australia! It’s easy. Simply log in to Facebook or enter your email address on the entry form below to enter. Unlock even more ways to enter just by following Global Girl Travels. Earn up to 50 entries! Tweet this giveaway daily for extra entries.
- Roundtrip tickets for two on United Airlines to Cairns, Australia
- Admission for two to Cairns Zoom & Wildlife Dome to zip line and get up close with Cairns indigenous animals
- Tickets for two to Raging Thunder Adventures for an unforgettable white water rafting experience
Open to all entrants 18 years of age and older, excluding United employees. Flight must originate from Guam or Tokyo. Multiple entries encouraged! Winner chosen at random. Entry period ends June 1, 2015 at 12:00 a.m. #UnitedWeCairns
Latest posts by Jessica Peterson (see all)
- 24 Things to Do with 24 Hours of Sunlight In Fairbanks, Alaska - August 7, 2017
- Travel Film: Alaska / Unsetting Sun - July 24, 2017
- Watch my CNN Great Big Story Documentary - June 6, 2017