Discovering the Great Barrier Reef & Michaelmas Cay
There really is no wrong way to see the Great Barrier Reef. If you’re passionate about animals like me, you’ll also want to see Michaelmas Cay, famous for its migratory birds. Thousands of terns raise their young on this tiny sand dune off the coast of Cairns, Australia.
Speaking of passions, pictured below is Simon. Rather appropriately, he works for Passions of Paradise. With a skipper that looks like this, it’s easy to get in the nautical mood.
Want to dive but not certified? First a little training. It’s your choice to snorkel or take an intro to diving. Having failed miserably at getting my dive certification a few years ago, the choice was obvious… I went for round two of ‘Things Which I Am Really Bad At That I Keep Trying to Do.’ However, less than an hour into the journey, and I was involuntarily emptying the contents of my stomach on the AFT deck. Turns out I’m not cut out for diving or bulimia. Such is life.
Those who weren’t retching were squeezing themselves into sausage casings known as jellyfish suits. They protect against the stinging creatures. When I popped in the water to snorkel sans suit, I realized they’re everywhere. My advice? Be smart, wear the suit.
Enter to win a trip to Cairns, Australia below!
Travel and accommodations provided by United Airlines. All opinions my own.
Win a trip for two to Cairns, Australia!
Win a trip for two to Cairns, Australia! It’s easy. Simply log in to Facebook or enter your email address on the entry form below to enter. Unlock even more ways to enter just by following Global Girl Travels. Earn up to 50 entries! Tweet this giveaway daily for extra entries.
- Roundtrip tickets for two on United Airlines to Cairns, Australia
- Admission for two to Cairns Zoom & Wildlife Dome to zip line and get up close with Cairns indigenous animals
- Tickets for two to Raging Thunder Adventures for an unforgettable white water rafting experience
Open to all entrants 18 years of age and older, excluding United employees. Flight must originate from Guam or Tokyo. Multiple entries encouraged! Winner chosen at random. Entry period ends June 1, 2015 at 12:00 a.m.
Latest posts by Jessica Peterson (see all)
- 5 of the World’s Most Colorful Destinations to Visit in 2019 - November 22, 2018
- 5 Travel Adventures to Have in 2019 - November 20, 2018
- 3 Tips for Making the Most of Your Next European Adventure - October 31, 2018